Construction to begin in Early February
Recently, the Ada County Highway District (ACHD) Commission awarded the 30th Street Extension construction contract to Alta Construction of Boise. Construction will begin February 1st, 2013 and is anticipated to take nine months to complete.
While originally referred to as the 30th Street Extension, in October 2011, the City of Boise approved the new roadway name, Whitewater Park Boulevard. You may hear the project referred to by both names.
During construction, Whitewater Park Boulevard between Main Street and Fairview Avenue will be closed to through pedestrian and vehicle traffic but will remain open for local traffic. In addition, Whitewater Park Boulevard (including the existing 31st Street between Pleasanton Avenue and Stewart Avenue) will be closed from just north of the Reflections Apartments entrance to the west end of Rose Street. Pedestrian access will be maintained near the entrance to Reflections Apartments to connect to Whittier Elementary School and will also remain available at Pleasanton Avenue to connect to the Greenbelt. Vehicle access will be maintained at Pleasanton Avenue for access to Idaho River Sports, Quinn’s Pond and the Boise River Recreation Park. This section of the future roadway is not a through roadway today. Keeping it closed to through traffic will allow the construction to move more quickly and safely. Please see the corresponding map which illustrates these anticipated roadway access impacts.
The project will:
- Construct a four-lane roadway from State Street to Fairview Avenue – to include medians and turn lanes
- Construct a two-lane roundabout at Whitewater Park Boulevard & Stewart Avenue, the future Esther Simplot Park entrance
- Construct curb, gutter, sidewalk and bike lanes throughout the project area
- Add pedestrian crossing signals at the following locations:
- Entrance to Reflections Apartments to connect to Whittier Elementary School
- Whitewater Park Boulevard & Pleasanton Avenue
- Whitewater Park Boulevard & Jordan Street
- Replace the City of Boise sewer main between Fairview Ave and 32nd Street – this work will also include removing and reconnecting sewer services
- Add landscaping in select areas throughout the project (by the City of Boise)
- Re-stripe 27th Street to include two travel lanes, a turn lane and bike lanes, eliminating one existing travel lane in each direction (this will be done under a separate project once the Extension is constructed)
How can you stay informed during construction?
Construction updates will be posted to the project page and will be e-mailed to project subscribers. To sign up to receive construction updates to your e-mail account, please visit the project web page and enter your information under the “Subscribe” section.
Regular on-site construction coordination meetings, led by the contractor, will be held during the project and will be open to the public to attend. Dates and location will be determined closer to the start of construction and will be posted to the project web page, http://www.achdidaho.org/Projects/PublicProject.aspx?ProjectID=87
Please feel free to share the enclosed information with your neighbors or those interested in this project.
If you have questions about this project, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 387-6100.
Thank you for your continued interest in the 30th Street Extension project.